EXPLORING WITH CUSTER
Brand new 4th Edition!
The classic book “Exploring with Custer” has been completely updated for the 2024 150th Anniversary of the 1874 Black Hills Expedition. It features dozens of new photographs and nearly every page is revised.
• The authors added 36 pages of new discoveries and information, including recovered artifacts, fascinating Expedition landmarks and wagon ruts, and information about area museum displays.
• All 50 of the 1874 photo sites are matched with updated modern photos for a unique look at “then and now”. Recent scans of original glass plate negatives at the S.D. State Historical Society reveal new details and clarity in the historic Expedition photos.
• Select historic images have been colorized, offering an even more vibrant view of Expedition life.
• With six new sources for first-hand accounts, the trail guide adds even more depth to an understanding of daily life on the trail. The guide is also updated with current road conditions and land ownership changes.
• A Lakota scholar offers her reflections on the sacred Black Hills and the 1874 Expedition in a special essay.
• As before, you can read the reports, journals and diaries of Custer and his men as you follow their trail, in the field or from your armchair. Maps and GPS coordinates guide you to photo sites, camp areas and other historical places across the Black Hills.
•The Revised 4th Edition books are 8.5×11 inches in size, now with 336 pages, 260 photographs and 135 maps.