Help us support education and conservation with our public land partners, volunteer today! There are a number of different ways to volunteer, we would like to work with you to find something that matches, your skills and availability. If you are interested in donating your time please fill out the application and email it to Andrea Fountain: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parks and Forests Ambassador
- Provide friendly, informative visitor services at selected locations including points of interest and popular trailheads
- Provide information that helps build awareness around responsible public land use, Parks and Forests’ recreation rules, and the importance of wildlife habitat.
- Provide useful information about trail access, trail routes, directions, and any other questions about visiting area public lands.
- To become a Parks and Forests Ambassador it is required to attend the volunteer training and sign a volunteer waiver.
- BHPFA is currently looking for volunteers to help at Wind Cave National Park and Pactola Visitor Center in Black Hills National Forest for summer 2023 (May-September)
South Dakota Master Naturalist Volunteer Training
BHPFA serves on the executive planning committee for the South Dakota Master Naturalist Program (SDMN). SDMN is an adult conservation and environmental education program that combines indoor presentations and hands-on field experiences to teach conservation volunteers about South Dakota’s natural resources. Certified Master Naturalists are dedicated natural resource conservation volunteers who provide volunteer service through a variety of skill sets.
BHPFA Board Members and Committee Members
We are always looking for enthusiastic and passionate people who share our values to serve on our board of directors or to support the education and finance committees. If you are interested in learning more please contact Patty Ressler: email@example.com
Agate Fossil Beds National Monument: One-Day Volunteer Opportunity with Historical Photographs
Individuals with family who lived in Sioux County in the late 1800s/early 1900s, or who love historical photographs, or who love helping their National Parks have a unique opportunity to volunteer at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument on Monday, January 16, 2023 from 10-12pm.
The Agate Fossil Beds archive has many historical photographs from Agate Springs Ranch and surrounding Sioux County that researchers are interested in. But they need to be organized and indexed. That’s where the volunteers come in. No experience is needed and all ages are welcome. The museum staff will train you that day and provide everything needed to be successful.
As a thank you, lunch and a special behind-the-scenes archives tour will be provided to all volunteers that day.
Reservation is required, contact Park Ranger Tera Lynn Gray (308) 665-4113 to reserve your spot!
Opportunities are updated regularly, if you if you have a way that you would like to volunteer that is not listed please reach out to Andrea: firstname.lastname@example.org