Who We Are
Black Hills Parks & Forests Association (BHPFA) is the official non-profit partner of Wind Cave National Park, Jewel Cave National Monument, Scotts Bluff National Monument, Agate Fossil Beds National Monument, Black Hills National Forest, Nebraska National Forests & Grasslands and the National Grasslands Visitor Center. We provide vital funding to our public agency partners in support of their education goals.
As the proud partner of the National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service, we sell a curated selection of books, toys and games that help people of all ages engage with and interpret the natural world.
Thanks to the support of our members and customers, a portion of those sales is provided to our partners allowing them to further their critical missions of sustaining and preserving our natural legacies. Since 1946, BHPFA has provided over $750,000 to our partners.
Click here to learn more about our partners
Black Hills Parks and Forests Association (BHPFA) is a nonprofit organization supporting interpretive programs, educational activities and research efforts to protect and preserve the cultural and natural resources of the Black Hills.
Black Hills Parks and Forests Association uses proceeds from store sales to fund projects such as printing educational literature, funding intern positions, research, educational supplies or equipment and interpretive displays for our partner agencies.
Where We Are Found
BHPFA operates 16 retail stores in these locations:
National Park Service
Wind Cave National Park
Jewel Cave National Monument
Scotts Bluff National Monument
Agate Fossil Beds National Monument
Black Hills National Forest
Supervisors Office – Custer, SD
National Forest Visitor Center – Pactola Reservoir
Northern Hills Ranger District – Spearfish, SD
Mystic Ranger District – Rapid City, SD
Bearlodge Ranger District – Sundance, WY
Hell Canyon Ranger District – Newcastle, WY
National Grasslands Visitor Center – Wall, SD
Nebraska National Forest
Pine Ridge District Office: NENF & Oglala Nat’l Grassland – Chadron, NE
Bessey District Office: NENF/ Samuel R. McKelvie Nat’l Forest/Bessey Tree Nursery – Halsey, NE
Ft. Pierre Nat’l Grasslands VC – Ft. Pierre, SD
Buffalo Gap Nat’l Grasslands VC – Hot Springs, SD
Hudson-Meng Education & Research Ctr.–Crawford, NE
Since 1946 - Serving Public Lands for Over 75 Years!
History of BHPFA
Black Hills Parks & Forests Association (BHPFA) began in 1946 as the Wind Cave Library Association, an organization dedicated to supporting interpretive, educational and scientific programs and services at Wind Cave National Park. The name was changed in 1952 to the Black Hills Area Association as all National Park Service units in the Black Hills operated under one administrative unit. The name was again changed in 1957 to Black Hills Natural History Association, a more accurate reflection of organization activities at that time. In 1963, the name was changed to Wind Cave Natural History Association following the withdrawal of Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, and Devils Tower. Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NM joined forces in 1984 to become Wind Cave/Jewel Cave Natural History Association. The current name was established in 1988 with the addition of Custer State Park and Black Hills National Forest. Buffalo Gap National Grasslands Fall River Ranger District in Hot Springs signed on in 2002 and the National Grasslands Visitor Center in Wall joined in 2008. In 2015, the Nebraska National Forests & Grasslands became the newest partner, adding 5 more locations in Nebraska and South Dakota. Currently, BHPFA operates sales outlets in 14 locations among our 4 partners.
Cooperating Associations assist in the production of site-specific products, distribute educational and scientific publications produced by partner agencies, donate materials for use in interpretive programs and exhibits, and work to secure grants and funding. This is accomplished through park store sales, membership support, publication and product development, research funding, and other educational programs and activities. A portion of revenue raised through these means is given back to partner agencies to support educational and interpretive programs, this allocation is typically called Agency Aid. Cooperating associations must hold a federally tax-exempt, not-for-profit status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
How We Work With our Partners
Funding – A portion of store sales goes to our partners to fund their education & interpretive missions. This funding includes printing of park newspapers and Jr. Ranger books, exhibit design and installation, supplies to enhance educational programs, speakers and hands-on programs, and more!
Members – BHPFA members are a vital link to keeping the outdoors accessible to everyone. Become a member today!
Donations – Donations can be used for any partner needs not covered by baseline funding. You can donate to our partners in several ways –
- Donate Now – click here to leave a donation for BHPFA or specify a partner.
- Make a Gift – Donate a specific amount for a designated partner or program.
- Leave extra change or bills in donation boxes or round up your cash or credit card purchase at our retail locations.
Adoption programs –
Adopt a bison or a bat! Proceeds from the adopt-a-bison program supports conservation and research of the Wind Cave National Park bison herd. $20 of the adoption fee goes directly to bison herd management. Proceeds from the adopt-a-bat program supports research of bats at Jewel Cave National Monument. $20 of the adoption fee goes directly to a fund for bat research.
Help assist our mission to Support Wonder & Exploration by becoming a member. Find out more about Member Benefits now.