The 2019 permits are NOT available on this website. Please call Black Hills National Forest at 605-673-9239. Thank you.
NO REFUNDS SHALL BE GIVEN FOR ANY REASON. A Motorized Vehicle Use Trail Permit is required for any motor vehicle traveling on motorized use trails in the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota and Wyoming. Road=license plate. Trail=permit. EACH VEHICLE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE A STICKER ATTACHED on the left front or left front side at all times. You will need to purchase them in advance online or at a Forest Service location or retailer listed below on your visit to the Black Hills. These permits are for private use vehicles ONLY. Rental vehicles require commercial use permits from the Forest Service Supervisor’s Office in Custer.
Black Hills National Forest offers 3,061 miles of roads plus 688 miles of motorized trails for recreation. It is one of few states that has some trails where vehicles up 62″ can ride.
The purchase price at Forest Service offices and face value of the permits are:
7-day = $20
Annua l= $25
Additional charges online and at retailers are shipping and handling or service fees. We ship by USPS.
Trail users should refer to the Black Hills National Forest website – www.fs.usda.gov/blackhills and click on Passes & Permits for specific information on road use.
It is the responsibility of the permit holder to acquire a current year MVU map which shows the National Forest System roads, trains and lands in the Black Hills National Forest that are designated for motor vehicle use pursuant to 36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)212.51. Maps are available where ever permits are sold.
Download free Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) – https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEPRD533421 OR pick up free paper maps at Black Hills Forest Service locations or where ever permits are sold in retail locations.
Join the Black Hills National Forest and Tread Lightly! by following policies, regulations, and guidelines when participating in OHV activities. It is your responsibility to know and abide by regulations relating to OHV travel.
What do you really need? Road=license plate Trail=BHNF MVU trial permit
South Dakota Title & Registration Information: An off-road vehicle is any self-propelled, two or more wheeled vehicle designed primarily to be operated on land other than a highway and includes, but is not limited to, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies and any vehicle whose manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO) or manufacturer’s certificate of origin (MCO) states that the vehicle is not for highway use. If the vehicle is used, the certificate of title property transferred to the applicant must be attached.
All-terrain vehicles with four or more wheels & a combustion engine having piston or rotor displacement of 200 CC or more may be licensed as a motorcycle used on a public highway. The licensed four-wheel, all-terrain vehicle may not be operated on the interstate highway.
In South Dakota an OHV MUST be titled. If an OHV will be travelling on other than Forest Service or private roads, it must also be licensed for this use in the State of South Dakota.
If your state does not require a license for your OHV, you may obtain a temporary license to operate on South Dakota state and county roads. A horn, headlight/taillight and mirrors are required to receive temporary licensing. Go to www.custercountysd.com and click on Black Hills ATV Permit Info.
For Wyoming ORV Rules & Regulations please go to http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/ORV/Permits.aspx
Are you following Black Hills Parks & Forests Association on Facebook to keep up-to-date with Black Hills National Forest trail updates?
Permits can also be purchased at these locations:
Black Hills National Forest Offices M-F 8am-4:30pm:
- Northern Hills Ranger District – Spearfish, SD
- Mystic Ranger District – Rapid City, SD
- Supervisor’s Office – Custer, SD
- Pactola Visitor Center – Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Hell Canyon Ranger District – Newcastle, WY
- Bearlodge Ranger District – Sundance, WY
Other Black Hills Area Locations:
- OUT Recreational Springs Resort – 11201 US Hwy 14A, Lead, SD
- Outdoor Motorsports – 3245 E Colorado Blvd, Spearfish, SD
- OUT Spearfish Canyon Lodge – 10619 Roughlock Falls Rd Lead, SD
- OUT M & L Outdoor Recreation – 395 Glendale Dr Lead, SD
- OUT Steel Wheel Trading Post – 21399 US Hwy 385, Deadwood, SD
- OUT Mystic Trails Rentals – 21766 Custer Park Rd, Deadwood, SD
- OUT Deadwood Welcome Center – 501 Main St Deadwood, SD
- CLOSED Nemo Brandin’ Iron – Nemo, SD
- Big D Mobil – 2800 Jct Ave Sturgis, SD
- Rice Honda Suzuki-301 Cambell St Rapid City, SD
- Four Seasons Motorsports & Marine-1600 E St Pat Rapid City, SD
- Scheels All Sports-1225 Eglin St Rapid City, SD
- OUT Black Hills Powersports – 3005 Beale St Rapid City, SD
- Polaris of the Black Hills 11778 Constitution St Summerset, SD
- Big D Mobil Elkcreek Valleymart- Exit 46 I-90 Piedmont, SD
- OUT Keystone Country Store – 408 1st St Keystone, SD
- OUT Mt Meadow Resort at Deerfield Lake – 11321 Gillette Prairie Rd Hill City, SD
- OUT Heart of the Hills Exxon – 101 Main St Hill City, SD
- Fall River Ranger District Office – Hwy 18 Bypass Hot Springs, SD
- OUT Adventure Rentals – Downtown Custer, SD
- Ft. Pierre National Grasslands – 1020 N Deadwood St Ft. Pierre, SD
- CLOSED National Grasslands Visitor Center – 708 Main Wall, SD
Please complete the following form for your vehicle permit. Items marked with an * are required.