Black Hills National Forest 7-Day Motorized (MVU) Trail Permit


The 2019 permits are NOT available on this website. Please call Black Hills National Forest 605-673-9239. Thank you!

NO REFUNDS SHALL BE GIVEN FOR ANY REASON. A Motorized Vehicle Use (MVU) Trail Permit is required for any motor vehicle traveling on motorized use trails in the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota and Wyoming. Road=license plate. Trail=permit. EACH VEHICLE IS REQUIRED TO HAVE A STICKER ATTACHED on the left front or left front side at all times. You will need to purchase them in advance online or at a Forest Service location or retailer listed below on your visit to the Black Hills.

The purchase price at Forest Service offices and face value of the permits are:

7-day = $20

Annual = $25

Additional charges online and at retailers are shipping and handling or service fees. We ship by USPS.

Trail users should refer to the Black Hills National Forest website – and click on Passes & Permits for specific information on road use.


It is the responsibility of the permit holder to acquire a current year MVU map which shows the National Forest System roads, trains and lands in the Black Hills National Forest that are designated for motor vehicle use pursuant to 36 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)212.51. Maps are available where ever permits are sold.

Download free Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) –   OR pick up free paper maps at Black Hills Forest Service locations or where ever permits are sold in retail locations.

Join the Black Hills National Forest and Tread Lightly! by following policies, regulations, and guidelines when participating in OHV activities. It is your responsibility to know and abide by regulations relating to OHV travel.

Tread Lightly!


South Dakota Title & Registration Information:  An off-road vehicle is any self-propelled, two or more wheeled vehicle designed primarily to be operated on land other than a highway and includes, but is not limited to, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies and any vehicle whose manufacturer’s statement of origin (MSO) or manufacturer’s certificate of origin (MCO) states that the vehicle is not for highway use. If the vehicle is used, the certificate of title property transferred to the applicant must be attached.

All-terrain vehicles with four or more wheels & a combustion engine having piston or rotor displacement of 200 CC or more may be licensed as a motorcycle used on a public highway. The licensed four-wheel, all-terrain vehicle may not be operated on the interstate highway.

In South Dakota an OHV MUST be titled. If an OHV will be travelling on other than Forest Service or private roads, it must also be licensed for this use in the State of South Dakota.

If your state does not require a license for your OHV, you may obtain a temporary license to operate on South Dakota state and county roads.  A horn, headlight/taillight and mirrors are required to receive temporary licensing.  Go to and click on Black Hills ATV Permit Info.

For Wyoming ORV Rules & Regulations please go to

Are you following Black Hills Parks & Forests Association on Facebook to keep up-to-date with Black Hills National Forest trail updates?


Permits can also be purchased at these locations:

Black Hills National Forest Offices:

  • Northern Hills Ranger District – Spearfish, SD
  • Mystic Ranger District – Rapid City, SD
  • Supervisor’s Office – Custer, SD
  • Pactola Visitor Center – Memorial Day to Labor Day
  • Hell Canyon Ranger District – Newcastle, WY
  • Bearlodge Ranger District – Sundance, WY


Please complete the following form for your vehicle permit. Items marked with an * are required.

** Shipping and handling time may take up to 7 days, based on location. If you are planning to visit our Parks and Forests in the next week, please purchase your permit when you arrive.  Locations are listed above. Please contact us if you have any questions.**

This field can't be Empty
This field can't be Empty
Please choose a State or Province
This field can't be Empty
Please select your Vehicle Type
This field can't be Empty
This field can't be Empty
This field can't be Empty
This field can't be Empty
Please choose an Option
Please choose an Option
This field can't be Empty
Please choose an Option
This field can't be Empty


Black Hills National Forest 7-Day Motorized (MVU) Trail Permit; do you need Black Hills National Forest motorized vehicle use trail permit? Black Hills National Forest 7-Day Motorized (MVU) Trail Permit (2018) are available online and by phone 605-745-7020. Motorized Trail Permits are not eligible for coupons or discounts. This is the 7 day trail permit for Black Hills National Forest. You must list which 7 days. They are available for sale on this website, at Forest Service Ranger District offices and at SteelWheel Trading Post. To get regulations see:

Additional information

Weight .5 oz
Dimensions 4 × 5 in


There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Black Hills National Forest 7-Day Motorized (MVU) Trail Permit”

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like…

  • Black Hills National Forest Annual Motorized (MVU) Trail Permits

    Rated 4.67 out of 5